Saturday Reflections 07.07.2018

I know I am definitely in the minority here, but I really don’t like Saturdays. Even though I know every weekend I’m going to wake up feeling the same way, no matter how many pep talks and mindset tricks I try to perform on myself, I still end up being resentful and angry the entire day. It just seems so unfair that regardless of what day of the week it is, there is still going to be a mile long list of things that need to get done. And because we’re often more busy with family and extra things on Sundays, Saturday is the day where all the prep work for Sunday needs to be done, on top of a million other things. So while I’m spending every waking minute running myself ragged, everyone else in my family gets to have a day of leisure. And I can’t complain about it because Greg works really hard too and deserves to have down time. But that doesn’t change the fact that there’s still a ton of stuff that needs to be done! I just hate Saturdays so, so much.

Anyway. I’m just completely exhausted with a throbbing ankle from stupidly walking laps around the dog park this morning, knowing full well how much I was going to need to be on my feet the rest of the day. And I’m frustrated that once again someone in my family decided to complain about a food item I was making this morning for Hudson’s birthday party tomorrow. Because apparently I am only ever allowed to make food that they want to eat, even when I’m making it with other people’s tastes in mind. Considering how many times this has come up in the last few weeks, I’m ready to throw in the towel with cooking in general. I give up, guys. Go back to shopping for and making your own food!

Okay, for real now – vent over. Sorry. On to my reflections!

Monday was jam packed with errand running. There were four different grocery/household stores I needed to shop at, and two fun stores I just really wanted to go to. Because of the heat, I did the fun stores first and spent way too much time at them. So I was racing through all the grocery stores and just managed to beat the boys home by mere minutes. I’m glad I was able to fit everything in, but it was a lot! I ended up with 11,000 steps on Monday, which is definitely my biggest walking day since I broke my ankle.

Tuesday was a big work day, trying to get some dolls done because I hadn’t had a sale in over a week. I also spent the day trying to find more creative uses for all my peaches that are quickly ripening past their prime! I made peach raspberry iced tea, a brie and peach grilled cheese, and peach salsa. I have to say between the pineapple, mango, and peach salsas I’ve made in the last few weeks, peach was definitely the one I liked the least. I kept meaning to make a pie or crumble, which is usually the first thing I do when I get so many peaches. I just haven’t had the time or energy to do the whole flash boiling thing to peel a ton of peaches. So much work.

Wednesday was the 4th of July, which is a pretty huge thing around Columbus. The in-law’s came over and we went to the parade, where I had spots saved since Monday. While the spot was shady when I laid down the blanket, it wasn’t to that point yet when we arrived. Caden was immediately throwing a fit because it was too hot. And it WAS hot. But it’s ALWAYS hot on 4th of July. We bought some food from the fire station for lunch and then Greg went back home to get umbrellas and spraying water bottles. The whole thing was quite an ordeal with a lot of moaning and complaining and not much enjoyment. I don’t think I’ll push everyone to go anymore. It’s not fun for anybody.

We had a few hours of down time after the parade to cool off. I took a nap. I’m sure everyone else was gaming. And then after a random short rain shower, we went to the big party we were invited to at Caden’s friend’s house. It was a little awkward for Greg and I because we didn’t know many people, but the boys had a BLAST. There was a huge slip n slide set up, as well as some sprinklers and an inflatable pool. They were having SO much fun with their gang of friends. We stayed about two hours and then came home and watched The Greatest Showman. We did a few sparklers and smoke bombs in the driveway and then headed out to the fireworks.

I wasn’t up for walking any more, so we drove to school and watched from the little park across the street. I look horrible in this picture! I thought that this is the first early summer I’ve gotten through without my allergies killing me. Now I think they’re just super late because they’ve been BAD this week. Especially Wednesday when I was outside all day long.

The mosquitoes were pretty horrific, so Greg was distracted constantly spraying bug spray, as if putting multiple layers on everybody would really help. Caden kept begging to just go home. Shepard was way more interested in playing with his glow sticks, which he kept accidentally throwing into the street. We finally gave up and left. I think overall, the boys had a good day. It was just frustrating for me that once again they proved how little joy they find in the things that kids are “supposed to” love on a holiday. I’m never that invested in this particular holiday, so it didn’t bother me that much. It was just a long, long day.

I was so wiped out on Thursday! As I’m sure most of the country was! Which was a bummer since it was my last day home alone for TWO MONTHS. I really wanted to do something special to mark the occasion, but I just couldn’t find the energy. I ran to get a few groceries in town and that was it. I didn’t even go out to lunch. It really kind of bummed me out! Then we had an at home date night and I could barely even move. We just watched tv and then Greg wanted to game so I did some more work.

And Friday – more of the same. Last day of summer school! I worked like crazy and just managed to finish up a big batch of dolls right before the boys got home. Then to celebrate we took them to this new theater that just opened in Madison to see Ant Man and the Wasp. It’s a brewhouse theater with a full menu and a long length of table in front of all the chairs. The boys had some kids meals and I had their soft pretzel. While it was a fun experience, I don’t really see myself choosing to go to that theater over the one in Sun Prairie that also serves food, has moveable trays that can go right above you without needing to lean way forward, AND has soft and comfortable reclinable seats. I’ll be very curious to see if they can stay in business. It seems pretty risky being only a few miles from the main theater.

Anyway – that was the week! Very busy. The boys are done with summer school now, though Caden was actually asking if he could sign up for second session just to take running again! I pointed out that he can go running anytime he wants – he doesn’t need to be in a class for it! Unfortunately (fortunately), it’s not offered second session. But maybe that desire to run will help motivate him to go out with me every morning when I need to walk Annie. I’m feeling pretty anxious about how we’re going to survive the next two months. But – more on that tomorrow!

Author: Amy Noe

I'm a maker, a writer, a reader, a wife, and a mom. I love pursuing my creative passions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *