Saturday Reflections


Another very busy week behind us! And kind of an odd week too. I thought it’d finally be the week we start settling back into a routine without all the extra stuff, but there was still quite a bit going on! Maybe this upcoming week will slow down. Or maybe life will just never be slow again!

On Sunday morning I put on the temporary tattoo I bought on State Street during our birthday date. I really liked it! I’m starting to think more seriously about getting a real tattoo. Sometime… I’ve been toying with the idea for a few years and know that I want it to be bird related. I’m thinking four tiny birds, for our family. But I also really adored the vintage bird design on the temporary one, so now I need to make some hard decisions!


We picked up the boys from their sleepover at Noe’s and headed over to my parents’ house for another birthday celebration.


I had lots of Hudson time! I need to start saving all my selfies with him in a folder so I can make a big timeline of them when he’s older. 🙂


My parents made the most delicious lunch! They always make delicious food, but it was exciting I got to pick the food! We had Jamaican jerk chicken, marshmallow fluff salad, grilled/roasted broccoli, mashed potatoes with cheese and bacon, and garlicky rolls. It was all super good!





My mom got me a Keurig! I’ve had a crush on this Oasis colored classic model since they first released it at Target only a couple of months ago. I don’t drink coffee, but I do use an instant hot water heater a couple of times a week for when I’m staining my dolls, and I do enjoy tea on occasion. And the boys always like hot chocolate and tea on cold days. I figured if I already had a hot water heater on the counter, I might as well have a much prettier Keurig!


We were still there for part of the Packer game. I don’t care about football, but snacks are always exciting! 🙂 Oh, and I guess I don’t have a picture, but I had a chocolate truffle cheesecake for dessert. Very tasty!


Like father, like son.


Back at home that night, the boys insisted we get the Keurig up and running right away! They were so excited. We each tried something different and it worked great!


I think this picture was on Monday – but I tried coffee! And realized I actually kind of like it. I wanted to do an experimental week of drinking coffee around lunchtime to see if it would help me not desperately need a nap in the afternoons. I never have a problem feeling awake and motivated first thing in the morning, but afternoons are just the WORST. Surprisingly (because I’ve never felt any different after having a soda), the caffeine actually seemed to work! I think I went the whole week with an afternoon coffee and no need for a nap! So at 33, I am now a coffee drinker.

Monday afternoon Caden had a well child visit and we all had flu shots. Caden is perfectly healthy. He’s in the 65th percentile for height and 57th for weight. He was around 100 for both when he was a baby, but has been pretty steady on this path ever since. Flu shots went well. Last year Shepard needed to be held down by three people and this year he volunteered to go first and didn’t even flinch.


On Tuesday morning I had my final birthday celebration! I met my friend Dana, my goddaughter McKenna, and Dana’s youngest Alaina for breakfast at Market Street Diner. It’s been eight months since I’ve seen them. WAY too long. It was a fun morning!

Greg came home from work sick midday on Tuesday. So I took care of things and then set the boys up with their tablets and headed to my second yoga class. It was still hard. I don’t know. I’m going to keep going because I feel bad that only 2-3 people are showing up for this new teacher’s class she was so excited about teaching. But I’m not sure I really enjoy it that much. I’d rather be doing something with more pep and excitement. But zumba practically killed me and cardio drumming is no longer available unless I drive. Sigh.


Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday were work days. Trying to catch up with life, do a lot of sewing, and get ready for another busy weekend. Greg was home sick on Wednesday and worked at home on Friday. I always have such a hard time concentrating when other people are home. It’s not like he’s bugging me when he’s here! But it’s hard for me to get settled, I guess. I made a couple more fall and Thanksgiving dolls and now I’m at a bit of a standstill on what to do next. Nothing is really jumping out at me yet.

On Friday afternoon, Steve picked us all up and we went to the Dells for an overnight mini vacation. Cindy has fall conferences at the Kalahari and if the timing works out she usually adds an extra day for us to join her. We had dinner at Qdoba and then swam and explored the hotel for the rest of the night. Caden was having a blast at the surfing station! He also really likes the rope monkey bars above floating things that he has to work his way across. Shepard liked playing basketball in the water. And we all loved the giant outdoor hot tub! Shepard was so excited that he’s finally old enough to go in it!


In the morning, we bought some donuts at one of the places in the hotel for breakfast. It was a lot easier than trying to go out somewhere. I had a chocolate croissant.


We went swimming for another hour and a half and then got ready to check out and go to the game room. The boys were having so much fun with Grandma’s brushes! They’ve apparently never brushed their hair before. They really need haircuts!



Spent a very long time in the game room! Always a bit of an emotional rollercoaster, especially after a night of rough sleep.


Caden and Greg did the big rope course! There’s something similar at the Milwaukee Zoo and when we went in August Caden spent the entire time begging me to go on it. I didn’t want to pay the $15 and I was pretty sure that since he’s scared of heights, he’d go up there and freak out. And there was no way I was going to go with him! But since they had one here too, and he was still very interested, Greg agreed to do it with him.


And Caden did great! I don’t think he was scared at all. He certainly didn’t look it! Unlike Greg who was clearly holding on to his rope for dear life!


Overall, it was a nice little 24 hour jaunt away from real life. We finished the trip with lunch at Famous Dave’s. We were hoping to go to the Timbavati Wildlife Zoo, but it was cold and raining and Shepard was going on about three hours of sleep and fading fast. We didn’t want him to get a migraine, so we just headed home for a quiet evening. It was good, though!

And that’s it for the week. Always so much going on in fall! It’s great fun, but I kind of hope things quiet down for a month or two. I need some rest!

Author: Amy Noe

I'm a maker, a writer, a reader, a wife, and a mom. I love pursuing my creative passions!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *